Mission & Values.
Foundations for Life
Border Rivers Christian College – a School with CLEAR Values
All children are nurtured and closely supported in this holistic learning environment. Border Rivers Christian College is a safe learning place, and provides enjoyable and relevant learning activities, in order to consolidate learning and extend students. The College aims to foster a love of learning, unreserved participation, caring for others and living the way that pleases God.
The college expectations are CLEAR, and students are expected to respond positively to these. Being a member of Border Rivers Christian College means that students will value:
- I am prepared to serve others in love.
- I will consider the needs of others.
- I will be patient, kind and gracious.
Christlikeness: Who we are, the way we think, speak and behave. Does it reflect Christ’s character? 1 John 2:6 We are to walk as Jesus walked. 1 Peter 1: 15-16 – Be holy as he is holy. We are set apart for God.
- I am ready to learn.
- I have all my required equipment for the day.
- I will diligently complete my homework.
Learning: A teachable attitude, being prepared to learn and grow. We need to let others teach us. We don’t know it all. Proverbs 22:6 – Train up a child in the way he should go. Proverbs 1:1-9 (particularly verse 7) – The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Psalm 78:1-8 – Passing on the truths of God to the next generation.
- I will try my best and encourage others to do the same.
- I am determined to achieve to the best of my ability.
- I will demonstrate and develop my gifts and talents.
Excellence: Setting a standard and maintaining it. Colossians 3:23 – Whatever you do, do it with all your heart.
- I will have a positive approach to learning.
- I am determined to work to overcome obstacles.
- I am prepared to work at relationships.
Attitude: Our attitude, effort, and humility. Ecclesiastes 12:13 – Man’s Duty – our attitude needs to be to serve God. Ephesians 4:32 – A forgiving attitude. Philippians 4:4 – A joyful attitude.
- I will consider the impact of my actions.
- I will not hinder others from learning.
- I am in full and correct uniform.
Respect: The way we treat others and ourselves. Matthew 7:12 – Treat others the way you wish to be treated. Matthew 5:43- 38 – Love your enemies.
No student has the right to hinder or disrupt the learning of others. Bullying or harassment is not tolerated. Students are taught moral values and counselled through any difficult matters. Students recognise that their teachers care about them, and are willing to work with them for successful outcomes. Students are assisted to become confident that they can succeed to make things better and resolve internal conflicts. The disciplinary process aids students in owning a sense of responsibility and accountability.
Our Basis of Faith
Border Rivers Christian College is a non-denominational school, affirming all faithful Christian expressions, and committed to teaching and living out the truths of traditional Christianity. The College has a Statement of Faith as part of its legal basis in its constitution. The following is an expression of what that statement contains, written to show how it relates to our educational goals.
- That the Bible (the Old Testament and the New Testament), written by men but inspired by God, is essential for obtaining true wisdom. Children will be encouraged to read and study the Bible.
- That God has always existed, and has revealed Himself to us, as Jesus Christ, who spoke of another, the Holy Spirit. God created the world and mankind, and the entire universe, and we teach children that we are created in His image, both male and female. We teach them that it is our privilege as human beings to be able to communicate with God, in daily life and prayer.
- That every human being needs to be reconciled to God, receive forgiveness and be transformed, and that this forgiveness is freely offered by God because of His love for us. This is the Gospel, the Good News of God to mankind. God freely forgives regardless of who we are or what we have done, and we are able to receive new life because of His resurrection. We accept His forgiveness and follow Him as our Lord and Saviour, and we look forward with certainty to eternal life with Him. We encourage children to accept God’s forgiveness, but they are always free to make their own decisions without coercion.
- That the worldwide body – past, present and future – of those who put their trust in God’s gift of eternal life through Jesus, regardless of what church they attend, or what race or ethnic origin they are, are enabled by the Holy Spirit to live lives that will honour God and reflect Jesus’ teachings.